In this day and age of technology and screens which capture the attention of children, it is imperative to draw them away from the virtual world. Keeping them away only for an hour a day, will aid them to develop as holistic individuals who aren’t dependent on the digital world for their entertainment. Kids should know that the television, phones and the internet aren’t the solution to their almost-perennial boredom and herein lays the importance of art.
Art forms help in the growth of both hemispheres of the brain; the left is a creative outlet whereas the right takes care of logic and reasoning.
- Imagining a creation: When a child is asked to draw, they learn to imagine a scene in their mind and then translate that imagination onto paper thus, learning the importance of the representation of thoughts in the tangible sense. When we are asked to imagine a home, we often stick to the usual bungalows and villas, but a child had once thought of drawing a spider web!
- Expressions: Children have a vivid imagination which they often find difficult to convey to us adults via words, more for the lack of their vocabulary than anything else. Drawing can help them express themselves. It has also coaxed introverted kids out of their shells and helped them become successful people who are not afraid to express themselves.
Not only does a child’s brain gather benefits but also the physical aspects of a child’s well being.
- Dexterity: Art requires a variety of movements; a bold grasp on the sheet of paper, fine strokes with a painting brush, coloring within the borders with crayons, the control of pressure required during finger painting. These motor skills are crucial in the growing phases of any child and can only be inculcated in the daily routine with the help of art – enrolling the child in art classes. Not only for kids but also for young & adults, the art classes can do wonders as a career. There is simply no better fun substitute!
- Hand-eye coordination: Art plays a vital role in ensuring this very important aspect of development. Other than sports, only art forms such as painting and music will help children have precise control over the coordination of their movements. It also helps in improving reflex actions.
Arts have a profound influence on man as a social creature. No one can live alone, and for this life skills are required which are harnessed by art!
- Knowledge: Art keeps a child in touch with the society and culture they live in, thus inculcating important values from a tender age.
- Teamwork and individuality: With art, a child learns to collaborate with others from the class, thus learning the value of giving importance to what others have to say. While working in a group, especially in an art class, kids learn about leadership and at the same time about following. Since there is no right or wrong in art, they learn that there can be multiple correct solutions to the same task at hand. It makes learning a fun activity.
- Life winner: Arts have a very critical influence on the development of life skills, which are essential for any individual to thrive happily. It not only helps in building a high self esteem, by providing an atmosphere which is non-judgmental, but also helps to develop analytical thinking and observational skills. Any form of art class will focus on harnessing these qualities in a child and create a successful individual who has an open mind.